How to Overcome the Fear of Speaking in Class
Many people are really afraid of speaking in front of the audience … well, even if the audience comprises of their group mates. Such fear usually stems from childhood – for example, parents told to keep quiet and not ask anything, because you are scared that the people might laugh, or you might have been probably laughed at by your classmates at school, etc. Actually, the reasons can be numerous, but sooner or later, you need to fight this fear as it might prove to be a serious obstacle on your way towards success.
So, if you are one of those who are afraid of speaking up, read our public speaking tips.
- Break out of your shell and ask questions whenever you don’t understand something. If you keep silent when having difficulties with some material, you are doomed to fail. So, whenever professors are asking if you have any questions, overcome your fear of speaking and ask the question that is bothering you so much. In case you feel really anxious or nervous, and you are afraid that you will not formulate the question properly, write it down on a piece of paper before asking. Additionally, if you think that you’re the only one who hasn’t understood something, remember that most probably the rest of the class finds itself in the same situation.
- Actively participate in group discussions. Class participation is a way to mastering your public speaking skills and learning how to persuade the public or just effectively deliver the message across. It is a perfect chance for you to overcome your fear as it is always easier to do so with your group mates rather than when you are speaking in front of a big and unknown audience.
- Impress your professor. Actually, speaking up in class is a #1 tip on how to break out of your shell and stand out of the crowd. Professors will notice that you are a diligent student interested in the topic. When interacting with your professors, you will establish a rapport with them, which may later help you in case you need any letters of recommendation.
- Remember your importance. Class participation is crucial for your academic goals, studying opportunities, and, of course, grades. Besides, entering into discussions in class will teach you how to defend your position or prove your viewpoint in something, which will definitely be an invaluable asset in your future career and life in general.
- Use group presentations and class discussions to master the skills of public speaking. Whenever delivering a speech (even if it is in front of your group mates), do it right. First, maintain eye contact and interact with your audience. Second, do not mumble but speak clearly and distinctly. Third, always think before you speak. If you are delivering a presentation on some controversial topic, it is always better to prepare beforehand.
I am very nervous when it comes to passing tests online. While making my last order, I noticed that you have such a service. I thought “Why not?” One of your writers completed the test instead of me. I got 95% and it is amazing.Kaiden, Columbus, Georgia.
My academic life is in your hands! Till this time, I have achieved good grades for papers ordered at papers-writings.net. I hope that our cooperation will be long-lasting.Jane, Pueblo, Colorado.
It was awesome! I read my essay several times and knew that it would be the best paper in the class. And it was!Anna, Topeka, Kansas.
This time, my paper was even better than the previous one. Your writers make miracles!Jade, Peoria, Arizona.
I want to tell Writer number 46328 what a great job he did. Please, pass on my thanks to him. The essay was excellent. I know we had a few problems but in the end everything was just fine. Thank you very much for your patience, I will definitely use your services again.Derrick, Boulder, Colorado.
I was shocked to see a positive feedback on my final term paper. I have never received such good comments about my papers. I knew for sure that I would not manage to write a good paper, so I purchased it from Papers-Writings.net. Thanks that you help me improve my reputation in the teachers’ eyes.Miles, Aurora, Illinois.
Being a freshman is always challenging. You have to adapt to a new surrounding and cope with a pack of home assignments. I found a better way out – Papers-Writings.net. Thanks for assisting me with most of my writing tasks.Caden, Hampton, Virginia.
I have been struggling with my professor in economics for several months. I simply cannot imagine what he wants to see in my papers. I try to follow all instructions and still get B or C. Can you imagine? I decided to solve the case by ordering a paper from Papers-Writings.net. Thanks for helping me overcome this issue!Amy, Lakewood, Colorado.
I thought I would leave a quick message just to tell the writer how much I appreciate all of his hard work. The writer was very professional and very kind. I appreciate that I was probably quite annoying with all my questions, but he never seemed to mind. In fact, he went out of his way to allay my fears. If I need any more work doing, I will be sure to use your services.Anna, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Thanks to my writer 74832, I received A- for the thesis. We cooperated much, I got several draft and all of them were successfully submitted.Cole, Tempe, Arizona.