How to Overcome the Fear of Speaking in Class
Many people are really afraid of speaking in front of the audience … well, even if the audience comprises of their group mates. Such fear usually stems from childhood – for example, parents told to keep quiet and not ask anything, because you are scared that the people might laugh, or you might have been probably laughed at by your classmates at school, etc. Actually, the reasons can be numerous, but sooner or later, you need to fight this fear as it might prove to be a serious obstacle on your way towards success.
So, if you are one of those who are afraid of speaking up, read our public speaking tips.
- Break out of your shell and ask questions whenever you don’t understand something. If you keep silent when having difficulties with some material, you are doomed to fail. So, whenever professors are asking if you have any questions, overcome your fear of speaking and ask the question that is bothering you so much. In case you feel really anxious or nervous, and you are afraid that you will not formulate the question properly, write it down on a piece of paper before asking. Additionally, if you think that you’re the only one who hasn’t understood something, remember that most probably the rest of the class finds itself in the same situation.
- Actively participate in group discussions. Class participation is a way to mastering your public speaking skills and learning how to persuade the public or just effectively deliver the message across. It is a perfect chance for you to overcome your fear as it is always easier to do so with your group mates rather than when you are speaking in front of a big and unknown audience.
- Impress your professor. Actually, speaking up in class is a #1 tip on how to break out of your shell and stand out of the crowd. Professors will notice that you are a diligent student interested in the topic. When interacting with your professors, you will establish a rapport with them, which may later help you in case you need any letters of recommendation.
- Remember your importance. Class participation is crucial for your academic goals, studying opportunities, and, of course, grades. Besides, entering into discussions in class will teach you how to defend your position or prove your viewpoint in something, which will definitely be an invaluable asset in your future career and life in general.
- Use group presentations and class discussions to master the skills of public speaking. Whenever delivering a speech (even if it is in front of your group mates), do it right. First, maintain eye contact and interact with your audience. Second, do not mumble but speak clearly and distinctly. Third, always think before you speak. If you are delivering a presentation on some controversial topic, it is always better to prepare beforehand.
Very nice work, thank youDieter, Munich, Germany.
I work shifts in a community center and I simply cannot handle all home assignments on time. I am a bit desperate and confused because I do want to get a degree, but I do not have much time to be spent on home assignments. Papers-Writings.net suppressed my panic!Emilia, Cary, North Carolina.
I read my paper instructions several times and could not understand them. I knew that I would hand in a failing paper. There was some time left and I bought a business project from papers-writings.net. I am satisfied with the quality of writing and such a quick delivery.Eva, Tyler, Texas.
I will order my next paper soon. Thanks for helping me pass my management class!Kai, Corona, California.
I want to tell Writer number 46328 what a great job he did. Please, pass on my thanks to him. The essay was excellent. I know we had a few problems but in the end everything was just fine. Thank you very much for your patience, I will definitely use your services again.Derrick, Boulder, Colorado.
I am very nervous when it comes to passing tests online. While making my last order, I noticed that you have such a service. I thought “Why not?” One of your writers completed the test instead of me. I got 95% and it is amazing.Kaiden, Columbus, Georgia.
Seems like your writers can complete any home assignment on earth. Honestly!Kate, Vallejo, California.
I can write any paper, but formatting is too tough for me. Our teachers assign different citation styles (APA, MLA, Turabian) and I always make mistakes. I decided to do this way: I write a paper and your editor helps me format it correctly.Lisa, Rochester, New York.
Inspiration is my biggest issue. Whenever I open a blank page, all my ideas seem to disappear. I do not know what to write and begin to panic. My essays are always off topic. I encountered your website and decided to order an essay from you. I am ecstatic to see a well-written paperBecket, Round Rock, Texas.
The job was done quickly and appropriately, excellent work, guys.Ryan, Buffalo, New Jersey.